Saturday, June 27, 2009

Inga Kalna

This Latvian soprano blew me away when I first heard her, and she's still in the midst of her career. Although she hasn't attained the world-recognition that I think she deserves, if she continues her trajectory, I think most will everyone will know her work.

She possesses a thrilling voice, used with passionate musicianship and style.

She has appeared as Lucia, Violetta, and Mimi. It is the Handel and baroque repertoire that also shows off her stunning gifts. Unfortunately, I could only find audio clips on YouTube, and no video clips.

Listen to the expressivity of her "Ah crudel" from Handel's Rinaldo. Occasionally, the resonance of her "a" vowel reminds me of Callas.



She can also thrill with the power and agility of her coloratura in this example, also from Handel's Rinaldo "Furie terribili":\





And here she is in the exciting duet, also from Rinaldo, with Vivica Genaux, "Fermati". (WHAT A TEMPO!!)

No comments: